Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Renting an apartment in Moscow

I know some of this may be in direct conflict with other posts. But this is the most up to date info we have.

Renting an apartment in Moscow is goofy. At first we had a good experience. They were helpful and responsive with the rental, the apartment looked nice upon check in, it was a good location, the lady checking us in was very nice, etc...

Then everything changed. We rented the Old Arbat City Side Residence from apartmentsmoscow.com. Sandra and her Mom rented the Old Arbat Italian Residence from apartmentsmoscow.com. Here are a few things that we have experienced....

1. Smelled like a Gas leak in our apartment
2. Water leak in our apartment
3. Water leak in their apartment
4. Washing Machine broken in their apartment
5. No ability to use the outlets in our bathroom- got a new hair dryer, that didn't work either
6. Had a manager from the apartment company come to coordinate our service work and she yelled at us for our son dropping his toy on the floor and told us to have him drop it on the carpet. WHAT?? There is one small rug in the living room and the rest of the apartment is hard wood. Sure.
7. Received an email from Apartment Manager today that there was a noise complaint from the people below and they were going to call the police because of a baby crying. She said we may have to move apartments (even though they don't have any other ones available) and they'll refund that portion of the cost.
8. We had some man come to our door tonight and try to unlock it with a key, when Jason went to the door the man said, "Oh sorry, they told me noone was in here." The apartment people told us it was probably the owner and they could move us to another apartment so we feel safe!?!?
9. The Apartment Manager told me that they were trying to rent the apartment to another person longer term and he was upset that a baby was in here. She also said that if anyone came to the door other than her, don't open it.
10. There are no curtains on either apartment's windows. Only sheers. Its very bright at night!
11. No hot water for shower in Sandra's apartment

The list goes on. Basically I would use a hotel. I know its more inconvenient for cooking, etc. but save the grief. Having a newly adopted child is stressful enough!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you're having apartment issues. I wondered if I should've rented an apartment rather than staying in a hotel in 2004 when I adopted my daughter. There are pros and cons with both.

    In 2004, after my embassy interview, I was told to stay 3 extra days to register my daughter. I had terrible bronchitis. I wanted to go HOME asap. I asked my Moscow coordinator how much American $$ it would take to get her registered and on a plane home the next morning. he quoted me a price - $100 or something. I went to the ATM, got the money, and got the registration done in hours, not days. I was on a plane home the next morning. Money talks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I have never met you, but found your blog as we are waiting to adopt two boys from the same orphanage (I think) as your Maks. We are using Adoption Ark as well! It was wonderful to read your story as we wait and wonder how our journey to our two little boys will unfold. We have a blog as well at Gipsonfamilyadoption.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete