Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Chesterbrook Full Time- Yikes!

Monday was another big day. Maks's first day at Chesterbrook for the full day. I was so nervous and so anxious. When I went to drop him off that day, I'm sure he could sense the nerves. He did not want me to put him down. He started crying and holding onto my next when I took his coat off. Ms. Ashley and Ms. Jenny weren't in yet so I'm sure that didn't help. Finally one of the other teachers who did know Maks came over to help. She took him from me and tried to get him to play with some toys. The last image I had was of him crying and holding his arms out to me. Walking down the hall I started to cry and ran into the Assistant Principal. What a sweet girl. She stopped to give me a hug and tell me I was perfectly normal.

The day was difficult at work. All day I worried about him; how we was eating, was he crying, how did nap time go, did he expect me to come back for him after lunch like the other days... Jason was the one to pick him up. I guess nap time went fairly well. The one teacher rocked him for just a few minutes and then he wanted down to sleep in his cot. He slept for over an hour. I find that amazing considering the fact that he will never lay down on his own at our house. Even when we rock him to sleep and he's snoring! As soon as we lay him down he starts crying again. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. IF you can handle it here is what we did but follow your heart. We let Ricky cry for one min and then would go in to reassure him then moved to two min of crying the next time before going in and then 3 min of crying and so forth it does work and eventually after a wk or so he will help himn self to sleep. Aunt Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've worked in a lot of daycares (and by the way, Chesterbrook is a LOT nicer than the ones I worked at!!!) and toddlers always cry for the first week or so when they're getting used to the routine. I know having to walk away from a toddler who is crying and holding his arms out to you is heartbreaking! But they get used to the routine really quickly, and they get attached to the teachers, and it just becomes normal to them! I have also observed that many toddlers who go to day care are a lot more social and open than many kids who stay home all the time. I WISH Pufferfish would get more social... she still hides behind me whenever someone new says a word to her!

    ReplyDelete