Monday, February 22, 2010

Another Day

Not a lot of new things here this week. The week seems to be taking forever! Our day with Maks was cut even shorter today. Again, I'm not complaining, we are grateful for every moment and know this is a rare opportunity. They came to get him at 11:35am this morning. It is the "Celebrate Men" holiday here today, so the staff was very low again. I'm sure having to get 2 children ready each day separately from the rest of the group can be tough and annoying. I know I've said this before, but these women really do deserve a HUGE commendation. Every single one we have met has been fantastic with Maks. He is always excited to see them, has no trouble going to them, and they all look excited to see him too. They are strict with the kids, know them well, keep them on schedule and are very concerned that we know everything humanly possible about them before we leave. I really do appreciate everything they have ever done for Maks.

I think the novelty of two new playmates is wearing off with Maks. The past few days have actually been tougher than before. He looked at me today with a look of "you again?" He didn't want much to do with Jason or I today. We had access to both the music and playrooms and he would just keep running to the one we weren't in. I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me. I know this is not a fairy tale and that it will take a significant amount of time for him to bond with us and to really look at us as his Mom and Dad, but that doesn't stop me from wishing for a miracle or magic. Something that would make him know right away that I was his Mom.

It really was a reminder today of what a long road we have in front of us. The days are going painfully slow at this point. Neither of us can wait until we get home with him so we can start to get him comfortable with his room, his bed, his house, bath time, eating with us... It might actually be more confusing for him to see us every day, play for a while and then we leave. On Thursday he'll be wondering why he's going with us this time. I just pray that he isn't very scared and that he can adapt quickly. I want so badly to not mess this up.

It is frigid here again. Today it didn't get above 0 and "felt like" -26 degrees Fahrenheit. We walked to Travelers Coffee today for lunch and our noses froze right away. By the time we got there my ear was so cold it was burning. (Its about 2 1/2 blocks) Natasha the translator came with us again today and after the orphanage took us all to a little souvenir shop. Its the same one we went to the last time we were here. The difference in cost compared to Moscow is astonishing. The Matrushka dolls were 10 times more expensive in Moscow. We were able to buy 2 little ones for 330 rubles ($11 US Dollars) They are hand painted and super cute. I got one for Grandma (don't tell her if you read this and see her) and Jason got one for La.

Another night in our room of a carpet picnic (leftover crackers, etc) and the Olympics in Russian. I do not remember the American announcers ever talking this much, but the Russian ones never stop talking. Ever. A memorable Olympics for us though...

Mom and Dad are supposed to leave for Russia today. My Dad may not be coming after all. He's having some very bad back problems, the flight to Russia and all of the crazy car rides will not be a good idea for him. Pretty bummed that he can't come, but I think maybe one day we'll all make it back to Russia with Maks and our families so everyone can see where he comes from. Mom still wants to come, but we'll see. Not sure that's the best plan either. Either way, we'll know today! Sounds like the snowstorm in Chicago is over for now. I'll let you know how it goes in the next day or so.

3 comments:

  1. You are living what is a very weird, unnatural situation, sort of like Groundhog Day - same day over and over. BTDT. Not easy. Try not to stress, Wendy. I'm sure when it's time to collect Maks for good, he will settle down and adjust. Kids are remarkably resilient. Try to do lots of looking in his eyes and bonding things like tickling and singing, etc. Hang in there! It's almost over!
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont let it discourage you, there may be a few rough days but I can guarentee that they won't last forever. There will probably be some sleepless nights as he gets adjusted to being in a room by himself and gets used to hearing everything in English (he won't understand things for a few months). But it's all worth it. Oh and a toddler running into whatever room you are NOT in is NORMAL! LOL. Ricky is so fast that even in our small house if I'm busy doing house work he can get into things quickly. Love and hugs and PRAYERS for all! Aunt Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, this isn't going to be an easy road but one that is so worth it. I'm thinking of all of you and keeping you in my prayers. Take care - Be safe! Love, Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete